Additional Vinaya Materials
All of the materials on this page are written or translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, unless otherwise indicated.
- Bhikkhu Pāṭimokka. A translation of the Bhikkhus’ Rules with an introductory essay.
- Bhikkhuni Pāṭimokka. A translation of the Bhikkhunis’ Rules with an introductory essay. These Rules are also cross-referenced with the Bhikkhus’ Rules to highlight where they diverge.
- Stored-up Food : A Discussion of Pācittiya 38, by Khematto Bhikkhu. (revised & expanded October 4, 2017) This essay, which includes the relevant Pāli along with its English translation, addresses the issue of whether the Vinaya allows monks to eat food reoffered on a subsequent day.
Bhikkhunī Ordination Related
- The Question of Bhikkhunī Ordination. A complete collection of Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu’s writings since 2009 on the validity of recent attempts to reinstitute bhikkhunī ordination. The three articles listed below are included herein in their complete and original forms. (Published December 22, 2018) (Also available in all: ebook formats with hyperlinked cross-references.)
- A Trojan Horse: Unilateral Bhikkhunī Ordination Revisited. (Published November 27, 2018) A response to criticisms of the previous article On Ordaining Bhikkhunīs Unilaterally.
- On Ordaining Bhikkhunīs Unilaterally. (Published September 5, 2015) Regarding the invalidity of unilateral Bhikkhunī ordination.
- Bhikkhunīs Postscript.