Khuddakapāṭha | Short Passages
This, the first book in the Khuddaka Nikāya (Collection of Short Discourses), appears to have been designed as a primer for novice monks and nuns. In nine short passages it covers the basic topics that one would need to know when beginning Buddhist monastic life; many of the passages also serve as useful introductions to Buddhist practice in general.
- Khp 1 Saraṇagamana | Going for Refuge The standard passage for taking refuge.
- Khp 2 Dasa Sikkhāpada | The Ten Training Rules The novice’s training rules.
- Khp 3 Dvattiṁsākāra | The 32 Parts The list of body parts that is used in contemplating the body to overcome lust or pride.
- Khp 4 Sāmaṇera Pañhā | The Novice’s Questions A short catechism of basic Buddhist concepts.
- Khp 5 Maṅgala Sutta | Protection A list of the types of skillful behavior that give blessings and protection.
- Khp 6 Ratana Sutta | Treasures The many treasures to be found in the Triple Gem.
- Khp 7 Tirokuḍḍa Kaṇḍa | (Hungry Ghosts) Outside the Walls The conditions under which hungry ghosts live, and a blessing for dedicating merit to them.
- Khp 8 Nidhi Kaṇḍa | The Reserve Fund Where is the safest and most productive place to stash your wealth?
- Khp 9 Karaṇīya Mettā Sutta | Goodwill The practice of developing universal goodwill: the practices that form a foundation for the practice, the attitude of universal goodwill itself, and the steps that lead from goodwill to awakening.